Thursday, February 15, 2007

EW's predictions are in

The new Entertainment Weekly won't arrive in my mailbox until Saturday, but OscarWatch.com has the scoop on their Oscar predictions. They have best picture as a toss-up, with a slight edge to The Departed (numbers are projected percentages of votes cast):
The Departed 25%
Little Miss Sunshine 23%
Babel 20%
The Queen 17%
Letters From Iwo Jima 15%

The other major awards are as you might expect, although Forest Whitaker, Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson all look vulnerable to upsets. My take: One of them will be taken down on Oscar night; it's just a question of which one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The numbers kind of baffle me. I wish The Queen were higher (like, at the top), I'm surprised that Letters is that low, and I'm consoled that at least The Departed (smack in the middle of my personal ranking) is higher up than Sunshine and Babel.

As far as possible actor upsets... I hope the front-runners all get the award. For Best Actor, I didn't see two of the movies, and thought the other two actors weren't as strong as Whitaker. For Best Supp. Actor, I didn't see two of the movies, and didn't like the characters the actors played in the other two.

For Best Supp. Actress, I'd actually be somewhat okay with Jennifer Hudson losing, but *only* if it went to Cate Blanchett instead. Adriana Barraza was good but not *that* good, and I think Breslin and Kikuchi are over-rated.